Introduction to Developmental Movement
In this course, you will be introduced Developmental Movement Patterns and how they impact on individuals’ physical, psychological and emotional patterning. You will learn how each movement pattern is preceded and/or followed by other patterns that balance the overall human developmental progression.
Content will cover the ability to identify these organised movements of development and identify how initial movement development impacts on adult life.
We will explore the theory and embody the experience of Developmental Movement. How do these fundamental patterns influence our behaviour, emotions and physical health?
We will explore the patterns of Developmental Movement through the lenses of Developmental Somatic Psychotherapy, Body Mind Centering and Dance/Movement Therapy.
The principles of Developmental Movement are used in Somatic Movement Therapy as a diagnostic tool by observing how movement patterns are expressed in an infant’s physical behaviour or an adult’s communication, physical or emotional habits. The neuromuscular system can be re-educated appropriately to encourage, improve or initiate patterns that are currently absent or challenging to perform. We can identify the pattern/s not being fully expressed and work towards improving our clients’ movement potential.
The workshop part of the course involves participating in expressive movement experientials and in order to complete all requirements of the course students must complete additional Assessment Tasks and attend scheduled Online Learning Tutorials.
|Who should attend this course?||Exercise physiologists, physiotherapists, dancers, teachers, psychotherapists, mental health practitioners, counsellors or any other Allied Health professionals wanting to understand developmental movement to work more effectively with clients|
|Prerequisites:||Studies in Allied Health Professions and prior experience in movement or exercise|
|Pre-course Study:||2 ½ hours|
|Course Duration:||3 hours|
|Course Materials||Short Course Manual – Introduction to Developmental Movement|
|Assessment||Additional assessment activities and attendance at online student tutorials apply|
|Availability?||Course Dates and Times|
Why This Course?
- Flexible delivery options allow you to learn the movement analysis skills through group processes in the face-to-face workshop and online tutorials OR through our private mentoring system enabling students who cannot attend workshops to participate. This delivery option grants students access to online tutorials as well as a 1.5-hour private session with one of our highly experienced mentors in the city of your choice. The session will comprise of some of the experiential movement sessions offered in the group workshop content.
- Introduces you to working Somatically with clients to identify impeded developmental movement patterns
- The only course of its kind offering a comprehensive introduction to Developmental Movement together with practical applications in the workplace
- Assist your clients to understand themselves and what motivates their movement and behaviour preferences
- You learn a variety of applications based on our comprehensive framework and delivery methodology
- Enhances your career and professional standing
- The workshop component of the course is practical– you get to experience the work and in your own body
- Learn how these developmental patterns get created
- Learn how to identify particular movement patterns in yourself and in your clients