Short Course Barrels
This course is designed for practitioners looking to learn how to work with small and large Barrels. In this course, you will learn repertoire on the small ‘Spine Corrector’ Barrel and some exercises using a Ladder Barrel available in many studios. Parts of the Barrel repertoire can be progressed to challenge your most advanced clients.
You will learn how to take clients through these exercises with a range of teaching cues and tools. There will be focus on exercises for specific injuries and conditions where the use of the Barrel can target the activation or release tension of specific muscles.
This course actively highlights the relationship between the movement patterns and anatomy of the client in relationship to the arc of the Barrel. Using the Barrel in your work as a movement practitioner will enhance your experience in teaching movement. The course will demonstrate how versatile Barrels are for core control, stretching and mobilisation of the spine. All of the Pilates Barrels are used to assist clients build up muscular strength in the hardest to reach areas of the back and abdomen. This additional strength can greatly improve back pain and posture.
|Who should attend this course?||Exercise Physiologists, Physiotherapists, Pilates matwork instructors and Allied Health professionals providing rehabilitation who want to focus on spinal mobilisation and core strength with their clients|
|Prerequisites:||Studies in Exercise Physiology, Physiotherapy, the Allied Health Professions or Pilates|
|Pre-course Study:||2 hours|
|How long is the course?||1/2 day|
|Course Materials:||Short Course Manual:|
|Can I count the course towards my Diploma?||Yes|
|Do I get a government accredited outcome?||Optional assessment for the nationally accredited unit of competency PILEQU505 Teach Barrels repertoire is included. Students will complete the half day of learning Barrels Essentials content and after attending the course practical component students will be issued with a Certificate of Attendance for professional development purposes. Students may work towards obtaining the government accredited unit of competency PILEQU504 by completing all associated assessment tasks.|
Course cost includes free assessment process valued at $150
|Availability?||Course Dates and Times|
Why this course?
- Knowing Barrels repertoire is a real bonus for working in a Pilates studio and other Allied Health Clinics
- It is also great for rehabilitation, general stretching and mobilising the spine in all planes of movement
- Barrels can be used to provide additional intensity in exercise programs where greater strength and stability are required
- Barrels have multiple applications from rehabilitation to working with elite athletes and are perfect tools for helping clients reach their health and fitness goals
- Barrels can provide excellent spinal support when moving into full spinal extension or lateral flexion
Additional Assessment requirements:
- Developing a session plan based on the Tensegrity 8 Part SystemTM and delivery of the session plan to client(s) in your workplace, working with the Barrels repertoire
- Knowledge Assessment of the Barrels repertoire
- Practical Assessment of The Barrels repertoire during the Barrels workshop
This short course is also recognised by ESSA and attracts 8 CPD points.